Myanmar is well endowed with natural river resources. The Ayeyarwaddy, the Chindwin,the Thanlwin and the Sittaung rivers are flowing from north to south.The inland waterways transportation in Myanmar has better advantage than other modes of transport in the long term with the following reasons-
- Least transport cost for heavy and bulky cargos.
- Capability of transporting large amount of cargos in one time from one destination to another.
- A fuel efficient and environment friendly mode of transportation.
- No need of huge investment for the infrastructure like other modes of transport and less annual cost for maintenance of river channels.
- The cheapest means of transporting raw materials and finished goods of various industries along the river banks.